There are several businesses and partners that FLOC has been lucky enough to partner with for several years. One that particularly sticks out is Acumen Solutions.
FLOC was introduced to Acumen Solutions in 2009 when Adam Horvath, a Senior Director, joined our Board of Directors. For five years, FLOC participated in and was a beneficiary of Acumen’s Race for a Cause, raising a total of over $55,000 for FLOC’s Neighborhood Tutoring and Scholars Programs. At this year’s Recognition Event and Empower Awards, Acumen Solutions received the Empower Partner award for going above and beyond to support the work we are doing for low-income students in DC. The award was given in recognition of the pro bono support Acumen has provided FLOC while helping our program managers build a Salesforce database to track student data. This upgrade to a central database has increased our ability to track, analyze and report on individual students’ progress as they participate in FLOC programs.
This week, Acumen Solutions has generously donated 23 laptop computers for our Scholars Program. These laptops will help us replace some of our outdated ones, as well as support our students and staff in a variety of ways.
- 6th – 10th graders will use the laptops to complete academic assignments during Homework Help as many students do not have computers and/or internet access at home.
- 11th graders will research postsecondary institutions and career opportunities on the new laptops.
- Laptops will support our 12th graders in the college application process including college research, resume and personal statement composition, application completion, and financial aid searches.
- Our local postsecondary students will be able to use laptops to complete assignments, research colleges (if they are transferring) and search for scholarships.
- New laptops will be helpful to staff when presenting volunteer trainings and workshops.
We extend a huge thank you to Acumen Solutions for their work in the community and for supporting FLOC and our students.
(Kate Brown is the Development Associate at FLOC.)