Summer camp just ended here at The Outdoor Education Center. This summer was full of laughing, camping, canoeing, hiking, zip lining, and much more! At the end of each camp we encouraged the campers to write down some of their favorite camp moments from our Leadership, Wilderness Voyager, Arts on the Mountain, and Ridge to River Camps. Below are some of their memorable quotes from the 2013 summer camp season…
- “Group campfires”
- “Kate, a counselor, rapping”
- “Bus rides”
- “Best friends and camp buddies”
- “Playing with hair”
- “Mafia and other campfire games”
- “Meeting new people and actually going through with camp even though it was my first time away from home.”
- “Going down the zip line”
- “Canoeing on the Shenandoah River”
- “High ropes”
- “Star wars”
- “My favorite memory here at the OEC was meeting new and interested people. I enjoyed playing star wars with the kids and making them laugh with my loudness.” – David
- “Going to Shepherdstown and doing scavenger hunt. Making new friends. Junior counselors were the best!”
- “Being at the last campfire, singing in the car with my friends and everything else!” – Abbey, Leaders In Action student from Charles Town Middle School
- “Having awesome counselors, friends, and super hilarious moments all week long. I love and will miss you all!” – Sage, Leaders In Action student from Harpers Ferry Middle School
- “Having a lot of fun, good times, and friends. You all are super cool. Peace out, I love you all!” – Mika, Scholars Middle School Program from FLOC D.C.
- “Meeting all these cool people and having so much fun. I hope to see you all in the future.” – Sanari, Scholars Middle School Program from FLOC D.C.
A huge thanks goes out to our counselors, Jasmine, Anthony, Kate, and Ilia, who implemented our many camps this summer!
(Sarah Nowicki is an AmeriCorps Vista at FLOC’s Outdoor Education Center)